One sector that has benefited from technology is the health sector. The relentless pace of automation has ushered in a new era in the medical field. One that is characterized by quality health services for patients suffering from a wide range of medical conditions. Even though there are considerable gaps in the health fraternity, remote patient monitoring or RPM has significantly transformed how patients with chronic illnesses receive treatment. It has set them on a new path of hope and a renewed sense of possibility.
Remote Patient Monitoring (RPM)
You might be wondering what is remote patient monitoring. Simply put, RPM is a virtual health tracking approach that uses the latest technologies to allow for better communication between a doctor and a clinician with their patients. The patient is expected to fill in data about their current state of health and transmit it to their doctor. This approach is especially beneficial to those suffering from chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart complications, and high blood pressure. Since remote patient monitoring tools are used, the accuracy of information relayed is primarily guaranteed.
What are the benefits of remote patient monitoring for patients?
There is no running away from the fact that RPM has significantly improved the health of individuals suffering from chronic illnesses. With ease in communication, both the doctor and the patient are informed about the state of affairs as far as health is concerned. To better understand this subject, here are some benefits that characterize Remote Patient Monitoring:
- Peace of mind and daily assurance-Nothing is more assuring than knowing that a medical officer is constantly checking your health. It gives the patient courage, which is highly necessary if any meaningful recovery is to be realized.
- Improved education, support, and feedback: Since most communication happens on a real-time basis, the patient can learn more about their condition by asking questions and giving timely feedback.
- Improved quality of care-RPM allows patients to access quality health care since there is accurate data concerning their health condition. Risky health conditions can also be tackled before they snowball into something severe and challenging to treat.
- Better access to health care-Remote Patient Monitoring reduces human traffic at the medical facilities. Medical officers have ample time with their patients, hence improving the quality of healthcare service extended.
Devices used in remote patient monitoring
To make remote patient monitoring process a success, some devices apply. They include:
- Mitra microsampling devices-This is a handheld device designed to allow for remote blood sampling.
- Continuous Glucose monitoring device-This device comes in the form of a sensor hidden under the skin. It allows for glucose testing without necessarily having to prick the finger.
- Mixed reality surgical devices-This refers to a combination between augmented and virtual realities. It facilitates virtual interactions while creating a level of presence.
As discussed in this article, digital transformation has positively impacted the health sector. Besides improving healthcare services for patients, medical practitioners have equally benefited from the numerous technological advancements that have seen them expand their knowledge base. As the world of technology continues to grow, you can only expect that better days are coming.